Bike hire at our Total Adventure Shed in the gardens of the Ambleside YHA, Waterhead.
HOW TO FIND US - We are located in the grounds of the Ambleside YHA in Waterhead, just look for our "Shed" at the south end of the garden. The postcode is LA22 0EU. The parking here is strictly for guests and staff, so you will have to park in the town, only a short walk away from us.
WHERE TO PARK - Ambleside is no trickier for parking than any other busy tourist destination, but on peak days you want to make sure that you leave enough time to reach us on roads that are slower than they may usually be, and that you have enough time to find a space in a car park that may be fuller than at quieter times.
- Waterhead Car Park is the closest, on Borrans Road, a 3 minute walk, use LA22 0ES to find it.
- Low Fold Car Park is the next closest, on Lake Road, a slightly longer walk of approx 12 minutes, use postcode LA22 0DN to find it.
- Have a look HERE for info on other car parks and charges. Also HERE for more info about parking in Ambleside.
- Staying in the Lake District for a few days or longer? Consider a 3 day or 7 day parking pass instead of pay as you go. It works out much better value for money. For prices and a list of participating car parks look HERE.
WHAT YOU CAN HIRE - From here we hire
- High Quality Hardtail Mountain Bikes, suitable for all but the roughest of Lake District trails.
- We also have a child seat available to fit some of our bikes (The bracket will only fit on 17"/M and 19"/L bikes).
- Hire is always best booked in advance online to ensure you can ride on the day you want to, but we will also be happy to get you out on a bike should you just turn up, as long as we have the capacity to meet your needs.
Click HERE to book from our Ambleside shed.
WHY RIDE FROM HERE - Waterhead is a good starting point whether you want to explore the quiet western shore of Lake Windermere, or whether you want to explore north of the lake and further into the Lake District. Gentle routes or epic MTB routes can all be had from here. Something for everyone.
- Rydal Water and Grasmere are easily achievable on a low level and incredibly scenic route from here. This is a great entry level introductory ride into the beautiful Lake District.
- You could head into the Langdales to get further into the heart of the Lake District. Routes suitable for intermediate fitness and upwards, will also suit families with experienced and willing children too.
- For MTB toughies there are options for more rugged riding on more technical routes as well, around Loughrigg and into the off road areas of The Langdales.
- You can take in Wray Castle, a great stopping point, and go out as far as Hawkshead for some more Beatrix Potter history. Or simply explore the scenic western lake shore line, enjoying the beaches and woodland.
We can help you out with a selection of routes, and provide them as paper maps or you can download them to follow on a device.
WHAT TO BRING ON THE DAY - Please read this so you are able to take part on the day.
- ID - For online bookings - We require Photo ID (Passport/Driving Licence/Official ID Card) that matches the name the booking was made in. WE ALSO NEED TO SEE YOUR PAYMENT CARD which must also match the name the booking was made in, and the payment details provided online.
- ID - For walk in bookings - We require Photo ID (Passport/Driving Licence/Official ID Card), we need a secondary form of ID in the form of a bank or credit card as well, regardless of whether paying in cash or by card. You will need to leave your ID with us whilst out on our bikes, this will be returned to you upon return of the bikes.
- Water - Plenty of it especially in the summer months. Our bikes are equipped with bottle cages where possible, bottles are available to purchase but not to hire, for hygiene reasons.
- Appropriate clothing - No open toed footwear, wear trainers/trail shoes/approach shoes. Clothing suited to the weather forecast, it is always best to carry a lightweight waterproof, and bring higher performance windproof and waterproof clothing, with additional warm layers for the winter months.
- Helmets are compulsory (No Helmet = No Bike!), so these are provided to you at no additional charge. You are very welcome to bring your own provided you arrive to the hire point with it.
ALSO CONSIDER - Why not hire a canoe, kayak, or SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) from us as a separate experience on a different day. These can be booked HERE.