Bike hire at our Total Adventure shop in Windermere Town.
HOW TO FIND US - We are located on the main road passing by Windermere, directly next to the NatWest bank, and opposite the footpath to Orrest Head. Our address is 9 Church Street, LA23 1AQ.
WHERE TO PARK - Windermere is no trickier for parking than any other busy tourist destination, but on peak days you want to make sure that you leave enough time to reach us on roads that are slower than they may usually be, and that you have enough time to find a space in a car park that may be fuller than at quieter times. The on road parking in Windermere tends to be restricted to 1 hour stops only.
- Broad Street pay and display is the best nearby car park to use. It is only a 6 or 7 minute walk from the shop. Use postcode LA23 2AB to find it. (Handy tip - If you arrive there, park and pay before 0900 you can park in the Early Bird parking area for £1 for the whole day, then get breakfast or coffee in Windermere before heading up to see us. More info HERE).
- Staying in the Lake District for a few days or longer? Consider a 3 day or 7 day parking pass instead of pay as you go. It works out much better value for money. For prices and a list of participating car parks look HERE.
WHAT YOU CAN HIRE - From here we hire
- High Quality Hardtail Mountain Bikes, suitable for all but the roughest of Lake District trails.
- We also have children's seats available to fit our bikes (The bracket will only fit on 17"/M, 19"/L and 21"/XL mountain bikes).
- Hire is always best booked in advance online to ensure you can ride on the day you want to, but we will also be happy to get you out on a bike should you just turn up, as long as we have the capacity to meet your needs.
Click HERE to book at our Windermere shop.
WHY RIDE FROM HERE - Windermere is a good starting point for those seeking a little adventure.
- From here you can head out into the Kentmere area and endure some lung busting climbs, for the reward of seeing the valleys and mountains in all their glory, and enjoying the real Lake District MTB riding it has to offer.
- Ambleside is easy access either by road, or by exciting off road routes, from there you can explore the MTB routes around Loughrigg and The Langdales. The gentler Grasmere Trail can also be joined from here.
- A circular route around the north of the Lake and across via ferry is also possible, with routes to suit mountain bikers, or gentler routes to suit families or those simply after scenery and not thrills.
- You can take in Wray Castle, a great stopping point, and go out as far as Hawkshead for some more Beatrix Potter history.
We can help you out with a selection of routes, and provide them as paper maps or you can download them to follow on a device.
WHAT TO BRING ON THE DAY - Please read this so you are able to take part on the day.
- ID - For online bookings - We require Photo ID (Passport/Driving Licence/Official ID Card) that matches the name the booking was made in. WE ALSO NEED TO SEE YOUR PAYMENT CARD which must also match the name the booking was made in, and the payment details provided online.
- ID - For walk in bookings - We require Photo ID (Passport/Driving Licence/Official ID Card), we need a secondary form of ID in the form of a bank or credit card as well, regardless of whether paying in cash or by card. You will need to leave your ID with us whilst out on our bikes, this will be returned to you upon return of the bikes.
- Water - Plenty of it especially in the summer months. Our bikes are equipped with bottle cages where possible, bottles are available to purchase but not to hire, for hygiene reasons.
- Appropriate clothing - No open toed footwear, wear trainers/trail shoes/approach shoes. Clothing suited to the weather forecast, it is always best to carry a lightweight waterproof, and bring higher performance windproof and waterproof clothing, with additional warm layers for the winter months.
- Helmets are compulsory (No Helmet = No Bike!), so these are provided to you at no additional charge. You are very welcome to bring your own provided you arrive to the hire point with it.
ALSO CONSIDER - Why not hire a canoe, kayak, or SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) from us as a separate experience on a different day. These can be booked HERE.