Bike hire at our Windermere Canoe Kayak Boathouse in Bowness-on-Windermere.
HOW TO FIND US - We are the last boathouse on the right as you follow the B5285 to Ferry Nab. The postcode is LA22 3JH. Look for our bright blue Windermere Canoe Kayak boathouse.
WHERE TO PARK - Bowness-on-Windermere is no trickier for parking than any other busy tourist destination, but on peak days you want to make sure that you leave enough time to reach us on roads that are slower than they may usually be, and that you have enough time to find a space in a car park that may be fuller than at quieter times.
- Ferry Nab Car Park is the closest, on Borrans Road, only a 2 minute walk, use LA22 3JH to find it.
- Braithwaite Fold Car Park is the next nearest and only a 5 minute walk. It is larger so can be a good alternative to the Ferry Nab Car Park when full. You can find it on Glebe Road, use postcode LA23 3HB to find it.
- For more info on parking in Bowness-on-Windermere have a look HERE.
- Staying in the Lake District for a few days or longer? Consider a 3 day or 7 day parking pass instead of pay as you go. It works out much better value for money. For prices and a list of participating car parks look HERE.
WHAT YOU CAN HIRE - From here we hire
- Electric Hardtail Premium Mountain Bikes, with powerful Bosch electric motor and battery systems, to help you crush the Lake District climbs.
- Electric Pedego Bikes. These are either Fat Bikes, or Cruisers, please see the booking page for more details.
- High Quality Hardtail Mountain Bikes, suitable for all but the roughest of Lake District trails.
- We also have children's seats available to fit our bikes (these are NOT available on Electric bikes. The bracket will only fit on 17"/M, 19"/L and 21"/XL mountain bikes).
- Hire is always best booked in advance online to ensure you can ride on the day you want to, but we will also be happy to get you out on a bike should you just turn up, as long as we have the capacity to meet your needs.
Click HERE to book from our Bowness boathouse.
WHY RIDE FROM HERE - Bowness-on-Windermere is a great starting point for those wishing to avoid busy roads, we are right next the Windermere Ferry, so a short crossing puts you on the scenic western shore, where you can use bridleways and quiet lanes to get around. This makes it a particularly great spot for families to start out from.
- From here you can head out along the scenic western lake shore, up to the grand Wray Castle, with (in our opinion) some of the best placed picnic benches the Lake District has to offer. This is a great place to stop, explore the castle or the kids woodland play area, then simply retrace your steps or choose from a number of routes to find your way back via. There and back is one of the flattest routes we can offer in the Lakes.
- You could carry follow the Beatrix Potter Trail to Hawkshead via quiet lanes, then down past Esthwaite Water to Hilltop, before looping back to the ferry. This is suitable as a family ride with a trailer or a child seat, and also suitable for experienced and willing young riders.
- We have a couple of routes planned up and over Claife Heights. Epic vistas are available for those seeking a bit more of a challenging ride, both vertically and terrain wise. Also suited to experienced young MTB'ers too.
We can help you out with a selection of routes, and provide them as paper maps or you can download them to follow on a device.
WHAT TO BRING ON THE DAY - Please read this so you are able to take part on the day.
- ID - For online bookings - We require Photo ID (Passport/Driving Licence/Official ID Card) that matches the name the booking was made in. WE ALSO NEED TO SEE YOUR PAYMENT CARD which must also match the name the booking was made in, and the payment details provided online.
- ID - For walk in bookings - We require Photo ID (Passport/Driving Licence/Official ID Card), we need a secondary form of ID in the form of a bank or credit card as well, regardless of whether paying in cash or by card. You will need to leave your ID with us whilst out on our bikes, this will be returned to you upon return of the bikes.
- Water - Plenty of it especially in the summer months. Our bikes are equipped with bottle cages where possible, bottles are available to purchase but not to hire, for hygiene reasons.
- Appropriate clothing - No open toed footwear, wear trainers/trail shoes/approach shoes. Clothing suited to the weather forecast, it is always best to carry a lightweight waterproof, and bring higher performance windproof and waterproof clothing, with additional warm layers for the winter months.
- Helmets are compulsory (No Helmet = No Bike!), so these are provided to you at no additional charge. You are very welcome to bring your own provided you arrive to the hire point with it.
ALSO CONSIDER - Why not hire a canoe, kayak, or SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) from us as a separate experience on a different day. These can be booked HERE.