Bike hire at our Windermere Canoe Kayak Boathouse in Bowness-on-Windermere.
We are the last boathouse on the right as you follow the B5285 to Ferry Nab. The postcode is LA22 3JH. Look for our Windermere Canoe Kayak boathouse.
Where to park?
On peak days you want to make sure that you leave enough time to reach us and to ensure you have enough time to find a space in a car park that may be busy.
- Ferry Nab Car Park is the closest, on Borrans Road, only a 2 minute walk, use LA22 3JH to find it.
- Braithwaite Fold Car Park is the next nearest and only a 5 minute walk. It is larger so can be a good alternative to the Ferry Nab Car Park when full. You can find it on Glebe Road, use postcode LA23 3HB to find it.
- For more info on parking in Bowness-on-Windermere have a look HERE.
- Staying in the Lake District for a few days or longer? Consider a 3 day or 7 day parking pass instead of pay as you go. It works out much better value for money. For prices and a list of participating car parks look HERE.
What can you hire?
- Premium Electric Hybrid Bikes, with a powerful electric motor and battery system, to help carry you up the hills en route.
- Premium Hardtail Mountain Bikes, suitable for all but the roughest of Lake District trails.
- Childrens bikes with 20" or 24" wheels.
- We have trailers that are suitable for one or two children.
- We have a tag-a-long for younger riders not ready for their own wheels yet.
- We also have children's seats available to fit our bikes (these are NOT available on Electric bikes. The bracket will only fit on 17"/M, 19"/L and 21"/XL mountain bikes).
Hire is always best booked in advance online to ensure you can ride on the day you want to. We will also be happy to get you out on a bike should you just turn up, as long as we have them available.
Click HERE to book from our Bowness boathouse.
Why ride from here?
Please note, the current COVID-19 requirements for public transport means that you will only be allowed to use the ferry if you are wearing a face covering. Currently they will also only accept contactless payments.
Bowness-on-Windermere is a great starting point for those wishing to avoid busy roads, as we are right next the Windermere Ferry. A short crossing puts you on the scenic western shore, where you can use bridleways and quiet lanes to get around. This makes it a particularly great spot for families to start out from.
- The Wray Castle Trail - Leave the ferry and head out along the scenic western lake shore, up to the grand Wray Castle, with (in our opinion) some of the best placed picnic benches the Lake District has to offer. This is a great place to stop, explore the castle or the kids woodland play area, then simply retrace your steps or choose from a number of routes to find your way back. There and back is one of the flattest routes we can offer in the Lakes (disclaimer - there are still hills!).
- The Beatrix Potter Trail - Continue on a circular route from Wray Castle, and follow the Beatrix Potter Trail to Hawkshead via quiet lanes, then down past Esthwaite Water to Beatrix Potters Hilltop Farm, before looping back to the ferry. This is suitable as a family ride with a trailer or a child seat, and also suitable for experienced and willing young riders.
- We have a couple of routes planned up and over Claife Heights. Epic vistas are available for those seeking a bit more of a challenging ride, both vertically and terrain wise. Also suited to experienced young MTB'ers too.
We can help you out with a selection of routes, and provide them as paper maps or you can download them to follow on a device.
We use the app View Ranger and have free downloadable maps to access on here. Think about downloading it to your phone before coming in for your hire.
Our other hire sites