Bike Hire at Total Adventure Bikes, Windermere
Where to park
- Windermere School, Elleray Campus has pay-by-phone parking available every day from 9am - 6pm. £4 for up to 4 hours, £8 for the full day. Use postcode LA23 1AP. Ideally you would download the RingGo parking app in advance and register for an account to save yourself time on the day. You can find parking info and download the app HERE. (Please note, this parking is not operated by Total Adventure Bike Hire).
- Broad Street pay and display is the best nearby car park to use. It is only a 6 or 7 minute walk from the shop. Use postcode LA23 2AB to find it. (Handy tip - If you arrive there, park and pay before 0900 you can park in the Early Bird parking area for £1 for the whole day, then get breakfast or coffee in Windermere before heading up to see us.)
- Staying in the Lake District for a few days or longer? Consider a 3 day or 7 day parking pass instead of pay as you go. It works out much better value for money. For prices and a list of participating car parks look HERE.
On peak days make sure that you leave enough time to reach us on roads that are slower than they may usually be. Make sure that you have enough time to find a space in a car park that may be very busy. The on road parking in Windermere tends to be restricted to 1 hour stops only.
What can you hire from here?
- Premium Electric Mountain Bikes, both hardtail and full suspension, to crush the Lake District terrain.
- Premium Mountain Bikes, either hardtail or full suspension, suitable for all Lake District trails.
- Standard Mountain Bikes, in a broad range of sizes incl Youth and Children's options. Suitable for a wide range of off road terrain, but not the very roughest Lake District trails.
- Gravel bikes are now available here, new for 2022!
- We also have children's seats available to fit our bikes (Only supplied on 17"/M and 19"/L standard mountain bikes).
Hire is always best booked in advance online to ensure you can ride on the day. Should you just turn up, we will do our best to meet your needs provided the bikes are not already reserved.
Why ride from here?
Windermere is a great starting point for those seeking a little adventure.
- Head out into the Kentmere area and endure some lung busting climbs, technical descents and epic views; a real Lake District MTB adventure.
- Cruise along to Ambleside with easy access either by road, or by exciting off road routes. Great access for MTB routes around Loughrigg and The Langdales. Or for families, the gentler Grasmere Trail can also be joined from here.
- A circular route around the north of the Lake, and across via ferry is also possible, with tougher routes to suit mountain bikers, or gentler routes to suit families or those simply wanting to take in the scenery.
- Parents! You can take a break at Wray Castle, a great stopping point with a cafe and gardens with an outdoor woodland play area to entertain the kids. From there it is easy to go out as far as Hawkshead, for some Beatrix Potter history.
On the day we can advise on suitable routes, and can issue you with a basic leaflet style map of local accessible trials.
Should you wish to view some of our recommended routes in advance, or in more detail, then you can do so on our "Cycle Routes" page. You may download a PDF guide to the from here (which you can print if you would like to), and you may also download a GPX file if you would like to follow your chosen route on a device.
Click HERE for a selection of our most popular routes