Bike hire at our "Shed" in the gardens of the Ambleside YHA, Waterhead
We are located in the grounds of the Ambleside YHA in Waterhead, just look for our "Shed" at the south end of the garden. The postcode is LA22 0EU. The parking here is strictly for guests and staff, so you will have to park in the town, only a short walk away from us.
Where to park?
On peak days you want to make sure that you leave enough time to reach us and that you have enough time to find a space in a car park that may be busy.
- Waterhead Car Park is the closest, on Borrans Road, a 3 minute walk, use LA22 0ES to find it.
- Low Fold Car Park is the next closest, on Lake Road, a slightly longer walk of approx 12 minutes, use postcode LA22 0DN to find it.
- Have a look HERE for more info about parking in Ambleside.
- Staying in the Lake District for a few days or longer? Consider a 3 day or 7 day parking pass instead of pay as you go. It works out much better value for money. For prices and a list of participating car parks look HERE.
What can you hire?
- Standard Mountain Bikes, in a range of adult and youth sizes. Suitable for a wide range of off road terrain, but not the very roughest Lake District trails.
Hire is always best booked in advance online to ensure you can ride on the day you want to. We will also be happy to get you out on a bike should you just turn up, as long as we have them available.
Why ride from here?
Waterhead is a good starting point whether you want to explore the quiet western shore of Lake Windermere, or north of the lake and further into the Lake District. Gentle routes or epic MTB routes can all be had from here. Something for everyone.
- Rydal Water and Grasmere are easily achievable on a low level and incredibly scenic route from here. This is a great entry level introductory ride into the beautiful Lake District.
- You could head into the Langdales to get further into the heart of the Lake District. Routes suitable for intermediate fitness and upwards, will also suit families with experienced children too.
- For MTB toughies there are options for more rugged riding on more technical routes as well, around Loughrigg and into the off road areas of The Langdales.
- You can take in Wray Castle, a great stopping point, and go out as far as Hawkshead for some Beatrix Potter history. Or simply explore the scenic western lake shore line, enjoying the beaches and woodland.
We use the app ViewRanger to plan routes for you. We have free downloadable maps to access on this platform.
Download the ViewRanger app for free before you arrive. You can then download our free route maps to your device, provided you have installed the Viewranger app and created an account.
- ViewRanger download
- Routes (this page is coming soon!)